Sunday 1 December 2013

Gingerbread Houses and Doors for Santa's Elves & Winter Fairies

Gosh, it's the first day of December already, the day you can start to open the doors of your Advent Calender.

This week I've been busy with Gingerbread Houses
Gingerbread has a long history, I read that Gingerbread was brought to Europe in 992ad by an Armenian Monk and from there the love of Gingerbread spread across Europe to Britain and America.
It's believed that Gingerbread Houses became popular after the story of Hansel & Gretel by The Brothers Grimm was published. 
These Christmas Tree Decorations are painted individually so are all slightly different and in different colours. 

Gingerbread House Tree Decoration

Handpainted Gingerbread House Tree Decoration

Gingerbread House with a Candy Cane


I've also painted a little Gingerbread Man for a Tree Decoration.
Watch out here comes the history snippet.. 
The popularity of the Gingerbread Man has been attributed to Queen Elisabeth 1. (1533-1603) It is said that she had the gingerbread figures made and presented in the likeness of some of her important guests and courtiers.

Gingerbread Man Christmas Tree Decoration

Christmas Fairy & Elf Doors have been a hit this year too, they are great for weaving a story around, they are a way for Santa's helpers to pop in from the North Pole to see how the children are behaving or as an alternative to a Santa Key. If you are going away from home for the festivities you can take the Door with you and Santa will know where to leave any presents.

I have traditional Reds and Greens,



Christmas Elf Doors in Red & Green

lovely Blues

Christmas Elf & Winter Fairy Doors in Blues

and even Pretty Pinks..

Pink Christmas Doors for the Winter Fairy


Don't forget that if you'd like to purchase any of these items (or similar) please contact me.

I hope you all have a great week and don't eat all the advent chocolates before the first week is out!!

This post is linked to  Handmade Harbours Linky Party

Jan x

12 comments:

  1. Lovely decorations! Beautiful colours, and wonderful finishing details x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your history lessons about things we tend to take for granted. I love gingerbread too. Gorgeous fairy doors - the red and green ones are extra lovely. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love them all Jan :) We only have a small tree and that because I insist on putting one up my niece. We had great fun one year when she put all the baubles onto her fingers and the thread twisted and we had to cut them all off lol kids eh? Thanks for popping over and leaving a message on my blog. Time just flies by these days to get everything done. Forward planning for next year?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the cheeky grin on your gingerbread man! All your decorations are gorgeous, full of character and fun. Great idea to weave a story around the fairy doors! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have made some lovely things. I love the idea of Santa's helpers popping in and out to see if you've behaved!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are all gorgeous, Jan! I love gingerbread. We make gingerbread men often but this year we're having a go at making a gingerbread house xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your hand painted decorations are lovely and some great info on gingerbread thx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your decorations look lovely. I had not realised that the Gingerbread Man went back as far as that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As always your decorations are adorable. Mr gingerbread man is especially cute. I have made gingerbread decorations for the tree in the past - not sure I will have time this year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These tree decorations are gorgeous. I had a peek at the post below and love those too.
    Now those elf doors are divine!
    Well done you.
    Hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are great, do like the vintage look :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Christmas doors look fab. Two of the fairy doors I purchased from you have finally been used. Grandson No1. has just lost 2 teeth and grandson No2. not to be out shone though he is a whole yr younger has lost 1 tooth!! I made little envelopes up to go with them for the teeth to go in and money left under the pillow. hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and I'll always try to get back to you :)