Monday 23 May 2011

A is for Alphabet

I've had a busy week again this week and I'm loving it. I have had a week of making, doing, sorting and 'er hum' organising, I have been processing some orders, cutting and preparing the wood for my Plaques and Fairy Doors.

Wood for Plaques
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I haven't got a finished piece of work to show today but I was having a bit of a think. ..(that's dangerous according to my OH),  I often  see blogs with “ 'this' of the day” or “ 'that' of the week' and I thought I'd give my little corner of the blogasphere a bit of a framework and after much thought decided in the age old, tried and tested format of the alphabet.
I'm not promising it will be regular or consistent but I'm hoping that it will give me a starting point for a post. I'm not saying it will make an amazing post or even an absorbing read but it may help me focus my whitterings random thoughts, opinions or musings and maybe a picture or two.



 So like the words of that well known song do-re-mi  Let's......
....start at the very beginning
A very good place to start
When you read you begin with A-B-C
When you sing you begin with do-re-mi


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
alphabet  (ˈælfəˌbɛt)
- noun
1. a set of letters or other signs used in a writing system, usually arranged in a fixed order, each letter or sign being used to represent one or sometimes more than one phoneme in the language being transcribed
2. any set of symbols or characters, esp one representing sounds of speech
3. basic principles or rudiments, as of a subject 
A is for Apple.......A bit simple I know but everyone has to start somewhere.
Salt Dough












Here are some fruits I made with Salt Dough.

There are lots of different recipes out there but
 I like to use this one HERE



A is for Art Nouveau

For a brief period at the end of the 19th century – starting around 1890,  Art Nouveau dominated the Art and cultural scene. Everything from decorative art and domestic furnishings to architecture and advertising was characterised by its elegance and organic forms inspired by nature. Even today, more than a century after the emergence of Art Nouveau, artists and designers continue to be inspired by the floral elements, natural features and colours of this enduring style.
Joe Boyle of 'Glasgow Art Metals' is a Glasgow based Artist  who specializes in metal and glass. His shop can  be found here on  Folksy

I'm off now for a wander around all the blogs that take part in the Handmade Monday  blog hop that is  hosted by Wendy of 1st Unique Gifts, I hope you can join me, there is always something new and interesting to look at.

Jan x

18 comments:

  1. I know it's not usual to have the first comment by the 'blogger' but I've tried everything I can to get rid of the white bit after A is for Apple but it refuses to budge. The spacing is a bit off too, I've edited it so many times but it won't change so I've decided to give up and leave it as it is.

    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did wonder about the white splodge! Keep up the good work, and dont forget my order :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's no white splodge showing up for me - I've scrolled back up several times to look for it!!

    Thanks for taking part in Hm x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Wendy, I'll stop worrying about it then. :o)
    Aimee, sewing machine up and running x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see it its more like a small rectangle i never noticed it untill you pointed it out
    love the idea of the alphabet good luck with the strange letters like q x and z but it means you can write the blogs when you have time then upload them in order very original xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea with the alphabet... not sure that I could manage it. I still use Christmas salt dough decorations that I made over 20 years ago... just so your readers know how long it will last, tee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done on setting yourself the challenge of working through the alphabet! I am not very good at finishing what I start so would probably only make it as far as 'E' or 'F'...

    Ali x
    Ali's Craft Studio

    ReplyDelete
  8. I stuggle a bit with the editing, but I think it just shows my character.
    I like the texture you have acheived in the salt dough.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No white bit!

    Salt dough is amazing stuff so you know you're on to a winner.

    Don't forget to post the pics of the finished items.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your salt dough fruit they look great. Salt dough is such a great medium to work with.
    I like your alphabet idea, I too would probably give up especially when it gets to the tricky letters.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea for a blog feature, i probably wouldnt get past C!!
    Salt dough looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That salt dough fruit looks fab!
    Looking forward to reading the rest of your letters!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fun! Love your salt dough fruit (and thanks for the recipe!) I will look forward to see what else you do. :) BTW I don't see a white thing after the A.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the salt dough recipe, must have a go with my son a little later in the year! Like the alphabet idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. No splodge for me either. Thank you for the salt dough recipe and love the Art Nouveau plaque by Joe Boyle

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looking forward to the other letters :) I might try salt dough with the kids. I very often write my blog in notepad and then paste it in. Makes sure there is no formatting :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Salt dough is addictive! Great idea using the alphabet, i'm looking forward finding out what you come up with for the rest.
    LH
    x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jan - I have left a little something for you on my blog: http://rainsdropsnroses.blogspot.com/
    Love reading yours and looking forward to the next entry :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and I'll always try to get back to you :)